Compare Immune Suppport Products
Determining the right immune support product can be a daunting task. Their are 1000's of products to choose from. There are many important factors to review before you purchase a immune support supplement.
This includes quality, purity, potency and efficacy, however one of the most overlooked, and most important is the difference between these two terms;
(1) Immune boosters, and; (2) Immune Modulators, or Immunomodulators.
Do you understand the important difference? Boosting the immune system can lead to over-activity, have you ever heard of the term auto-immune...? There are over 100 conditions that are fit this classification. Then you have the reverse, where ones immune system is run-down. It is here one would want to boost ones immune system.
So what is the answer that encompasses both? Immunomodulators
Immunomodulators is any substance used to help regulate or normalize the immune system. When the immune system is down, it brings it up, when it is up to high it brings it down. It keeps the immune system running at the perfect level. In other words it helps support proper immune system function.
In this article we will review the latest peer reviewed studies on the most popular immune support supplements including what to look for before you decide to purchase.
A study conducted at University of Louisville showed one product outperformed all other immune support products for overall immune system support.
This independent study was published in the prestiugious JANA, The Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association, a leading peer-reviewed journal on nutrition.
This publication is read by health care professionals, researchers, and others interested in natural approaches for their practice or personal use. It is considered the authority on identifying safe and effective products.
The study, is titled 'An Evaluation of the Immunological Activities of Commercially Available Beta 1, 3 Glucans'
Transfer Point Glucan 300 was rated the best overall immune support. Further studies, described at the bottom of this article also support these orginal conclusions. Click here for a summary of benefits shown in these studies.
The tests conducted on the various products compared the following immune support responses;
- Surface markers on splenocytes
- Cytokine synthesis
- Stimulation of antibody response
Overview of each test;
Phagocytosis is the process in which the body attacks and consumes bacteria and other foreign matter. The phagocytes, all so known as white blood cells perform this task. Without this process our body would succumb to disease and infection.
Splenocytes are spleen cells which play an important role in regulation of immune responses.
Cytokines are the 'communication line' between different cells in the body and play a direct role in immune response. The faster these cells are created (synthesized), the more effective the response rate of our immune system.
Antibodies are the method that the immune system uses to identify and tag a unknown body 'friend or foe. 'If its foes it helps mount an attack.
Many manufactures don't offer any real independent proof that their product works, while some offer only one form of proof that their immune support product works. This 'proof' is in the form of a single test usually dealing with the rate of increase in natural killer cells. This is a single component of the immune system. The immune system is made up of many components and process and in order to determine if a product works we need to take a look at a variety of immune responses.
This is exactly what the University of Louisville did by conducting a wide variety of tests on a wide variety of immune system support products. They compared the most popular immune support products to determine which ones produced the best results
Below is a graph that represents the ability of the products listed to produce phagocytosis carried out at the University of Louisville.
The most startling conclusions that these tests revealed was that a large variety of immune support products offered no more immune support that saline solution, i.e. salt water. Is your product found here?
As you can see from the test results Transfer Point Glucan 300 offered the best overall immune response.
Another interesting aspect of this tests was that it looked at dosage amounts to determine how much of a dose a lower performing product was required to produce the same immune support effect as the highest quality product.
Here are the results:
Products requiring a minimum of four times (4x) the amount and cost to produce the same immune response as Transfer Point Glucan 300...
- Wellmune WGP by Biothera Beta
- 1,3/1,6 Glucan manufactured by NOW
- Immune Builder RM10
Products requiring a minimum of eight times (8x) the amount and cost to produce the same immune response as Transfer Point Glucan 300...
- PSK Krestin - Kureha Corp.
- MaitakeGold 404 -Tradeworks Group, Inc.
Products requiring a minimum of thirty-two times (32x) the amount and cost of Glucan 300 for same immune support effect...
- Epicor - Diamond V
- Immutol - Biotec ASA
- RM-10 - Garden of Life
Products requiring a minimum of sixty-four times (64x) the amount and cost of Glucan 300 for same immune support effect...
- Beta 1,3 Glucan - Vitamin World
- Beta Glucan 1,3 Glucans - Solgar
- Beta Sweet: Southeast Asia
- BETAMax - Chisolm Biological Labs
- BioBran - Daiwa Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Glucagel - GraceLinc Ltd....
- Immunity Booster - Twinlab
- Immune Builder - Mushroom Science
- Immune Factors - Andrew Lessman
- Immune Renew - NOW
- Manapol -Carrington Labs
- Manapol Plus MaitakeGold 404® - Carrington Labs...
- MC-Glucan - Macrocare Tech., Ltd., Korea
- Oat Beta Glucan 1000 - Dr.David Wheeler
- Senseiro - Kyowa Engineering, Japan
- Transfer Factor - Source Naturals
- Wolfberry Powder - Rich Nature Nutraceutical Labs...
Products requiring a minimum of one-hundred sixty times (160x) the amount and cost of Glucan 300 for same immune support effect...
- Advanced Ambrotose 375 - Mannatech, Inc.
- Advanced Colostrom Plus - Symbiotics
- AHCC ImmPOWER (Active Hexose Correlated Compound) - American BioSciences, Inc.
- ASTRAGALUS - SmartBasic
- Baker's Yeast - Fleischman's
- Cell Forte/IP6/Inositol - Enzymatic Therapy
- MacroForce - ImmuDyne, Inc.
- Maximum Beta Glucan - Young Again Nutrients
- NSC 100 - Nutritional Supply Corporation
- Vitamin C - Cognis
- ViscoFiber - Cevena
- ASTRAGALUS - SmartBasic
Products having the same immune support effect as saline solution...
- 4Life Transfer Factor - 4Life Research
- ACTIValoe - Aloecorp, Inc.
- Ambrotose - Mannatech, Inc.
- BioChoice Immune 26 - Legacy for Life, Inc.
- Vitamin C - AIDP, Inc.
This is important because if it takes 64x the dose of product A (which retails for $9.95) to produce the same results as glucan 300 (which retails for around $69.95) then it would cost you $636.80 of product A to produce the same results as Glucan 300.
Glucan 300 would give you a $566.85 dollar savings.
Further testing has shown the Transfer Point Glucan 300 is the superior immune support product. A study published in Biomed Pap Med, in 2007, concluded that Transfer Point Glucan 300 that;
“Taken together, our study showed that with respect to natural glucans, there is a yes-or-no effect suggesting that highly purified and highly active glucans will have pleiotropic impact, whereas poorly isolated and/or less active glucans will have only mediocre biological properties.”
The observations of this study also showed;
- Glucan #300 showed much stronger activation of blood neutrophils than other glucans.
- Glucan #300 stimulated IL-2 secretion 3.5 times more than ImmunoFiber, another popular immune support product.
- Showed strong time-dependent effects of Glucan #300 on lowering cholesterol and during short time intervals all glucans lowered the cholesterol levels in hypercholesterolemic animals, but in the long term only #300 glucan retained this activity.
- After two weeks of feeding, #300 glucan significantly lowered the sugar levels to almost a normal.
- Confirmed our previous studies showing that glucan #300 was one of the most active glucans available.
A 2010 published study titled “1,3-Glucan: Silver Bullet or Hot Air?”, reviewed 50 different glucans, however after further testing, the choice was narrowed to the sixteen. This test concluded the following;
- Highly purified and highly active glucans have pleotropic effects, whereas poorly isolated glucans have only average (if any) biological effect.
- Data suggested dose dependency, but only in sufficiently active glucans. Some glucans were either active only in extremely high doses (Sweet Beta Glucan) or showed only small and nonsignificant stimulation of phagocytosis (Epicor, Better Immunity, Macroforce, Solgar. Swanson). In general, only Glucan #300 stimulated the reaction even at the lowest dose.
- Glucan #300 produced the highest stimulation of Phagocytosis.
- Glucan #300 preformed the best in superoxide anion and nitrite oxide production. Data showed that whereas almost all glucans stimulated superoxide anion production (with exception of Aktival), there were strong differences among individual samples.
- Glucan #300 showed the highest significant stimulation of IL-2 production for beta glucans. 6. Despite the fact that all glucans potentiated the antibody response, significant differences between individual samples existed. The highest activity was measured in case of glucagel, Wellmune, Glucan #300 and Beta Right.
Stress may cause adverse heart related conditions. 43% of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress. 75% to 90% percent of all physician office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints. It is also linked to the six leading causes of death.
For a more in-depth analysis of these studies click here.
 http://www.aarda.org/autoimmune-information/list-of-diseases/ Accessed 09APR14
 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18405890Accessed Accessed 09APR14
"An Evaluation of the Immunological Activities of Commercially Available Beta 1, 3 Glucans" Vetvicka V, Vetvickova J. An evaluation of the immunological activities of commercially available [beta]1,3-glucans. JANA. 2007; 10(1);25-31.
 http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Phagocytosis Accessed 12APR12
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splenocyte Accessed 12APR12
 http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-are-Cytokines.aspx Accessed 12APR12
 http://www.news-medical.net/health/Antibody-What-is-an-Antibody.aspx Accessed 12APR12
 PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF β-GLUCAN Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub. 2007, 151(2)
 B1,3-Glucan: silver bullet or hot air?. Open Glycoscience, 3: 1-6. (2010)